Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful is Accepting Applications for the 2021-2022 Green Youth Advisory Council Through Friday, September 17, 2021
Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful’s High School Green Youth Advisory Council (Green YAC) is a unique hands-on opportunity for high school students from diverse backgrounds to participate in an environmental and sustainability service-learning and leadership development program. Participants will contribute to and inform Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful on projects that impact local and global environmental challenges while acting as ambassadors and leaders for youth service in their communities.
The Green Youth Advisory Council will provide the opportunity to:
- Develop leadership skills while engaging in creative work focused on litter prevention, beautification, community greening, waste reduction and recycling, food insecurity and more
- Collaborate with like-minded peers with unique perspectives from across the county
- Assist with design and implementation of environmental program initiatives for engaging youth in community service
- Act as an ambassador in their school and community through engaging youth and county leaders by promoting sustainability, environmental literacy, and civic engagement
- Earn service hours and a letter of recommendation for college, employment, etc.
- Seniors will be considered for a $1,000 post-secondary scholarship
Youth interested in applying must meet the following criteria:
- Complete and submit an application and letters of recommendation by September 17, 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered. (See “How to Apply” section)
- Obtain at least one teacher or community leader recommendation to be included with application
- Maintain enrollment in public, private, or home school high school within Gwinnett County from August 1, 2021 through May 31, 2022
- Ability to commit to a term from October 2021 to May 2022, attending and participating in all events, programs and presentations
- Be available for our kick-off meeting on October 14, 2021 from 4:00pm-5:00pm
- Have an interest in environmental leadership and issues facing our community and world
- Have access to a computer with internet connection and commit to checking Green YAC emailed notifications, responding within 48 hours of receipt
- Provide a current e-mail account that will be checked regularly for meeting announcements and updates.
- Provide transportation to meetings and events that are held throughout the county as planned
Criteria for selection will include, but not be limited to, geographic location, writing ability, leadership skills demonstrated, project innovation, communication responsiveness, ability to commit time to serve on the council, and focus area distribution.
What to expect after application is submitted:
- After a review of all applications, students accepted into the Green YAC will be notified by September 24, 2021
- Attend mandatory first meeting on October 14th from 4:00pm-5:00pm at the GC&B Office in Lawrenceville
- Students will be expected to engage and participate fully in meetings and community-based events as planned by Council.
How to apply:
- Complete and submit application here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KWVYTJ6
- Once you complete your application, obtain a Letter of Recommendation and submit via email to Stephanie Marquardt: email@example.com