According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), of the 250 million tons of municipal waste generated in 2011, as much as 45% could be attributed to commercial and institutional locations such as business and government offices, retail establishments, schools and hospitals. As a nationwide initiative of Keep America Beautiful, the Recycling@Work campaign is a voluntary effort to increase recycling in the workplace. It all begins with a pledge on behalf of businesses to:
- Identify opportunities to recycle more and waste less
- Make recycling more convenient in the workplace to enable greater participation
- Increase employee awareness of waste reduction and recycling opportunities in the workplace
- Identify cost-effective opportunities to purchase products with recycled content
- Implement purchasing policies that consider a product’s end of life use and recyclability
- Report on our actions and progress through the Recycling at Work online reporting system
- Celebrate the success of the program in the workplace
- Invite at least one other company or organization to take this Pledge.
Current pledge partners include everyone from Fortune 500 companies like Frito Lay, to small businesses, to schools – and everything in between. Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful is proud to be among them, and we encourage YOU to take the pledge, too! Every action makes a difference!
Beyond taking the pledge, the Recycling@Work website serves as a powerful guide to assembling a Recycle@Work team at the office, conducting an audit of your company or organization’s current waste/recycling practices, developing a plan of improvements, making it easy for your co-workers to take part, launching your program, monitoring progress, publicizing success, buying recycled-content products for the workplace, and encouraging other companies/organizations to Recycle@Work, as well. Keep America Beautiful’s America Recycles Day is just around the corner on November 15. NOW is a terrific time to launch this initiative at your office!