Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful’s High School Green Youth Advisory Council (Green YAC) is a collaborative, hands-on youth leadership group. Students on the Green-YAC serve as official youth ambassadors for Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful throughout the Gwinnett community. During the school year, students participate in hands-on environmental events, assist in engaging Gwinnett’s high school students in local programs, and advise on projects that impact local and global environmental challenges.
2018-2019 Green Youth Advisory Council Members
Michelle van Rooyen
Gabriela Maduro Salvarrey
This Council offers high school students the opportunity to develop leadership skills, assist with program design and implementation, collaborate with other youth and county leaders, and promote sustainability, environmental literacy, and civic engagement in their school and community. A $1,000 post-secondary scholarship will be offered to one council member who most demonstrates outstanding leadership and program development skills.
- Complete and submit an application by August 20, 2018 to Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful. Completed application must be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to: Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful at 770-822-5179. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Obtain at least one teacher recommendation to be included with application.
- Plan to attend a minimum of 7 out of the 10 required meetings. Only 3 misses are permitted.
- Maintain enrollment in a Gwinnett County or Private High School for 2018-2019.
- Have an interest in environmental leadership and issues facing our community and world.
- Have access to a computer with internet connection.
- Provide a current e-mail account that will be checked regularly between September – May for meeting announcements and updates.
- Provide own transportation to meetings and events.
What to expect after application is submitted:
- If selected, students will be notified via e-mail by August 24, 2018.
- Students will be expected to engage and participate fully in meetings and community-based events as planned by Council.