Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful’s High School Green Youth Advisory Council (Green YAC) is a collaborative, hands-on youth leadership group. Students on the Green-YAC serve as official youth ambassadors for Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful throughout the Gwinnett community. During the school year, students participate in hands-on environmental events, assist in engaging Gwinnett’s high school students in local programs, and advise on projects that impact local and global environmental challenges.
2018-2019 Green Youth Advisory Council Members
Michelle van Rooyen
Gabriela Maduro Salvarrey
This Council offers high school students the opportunity to develop leadership skills, assist with program design and implementation, collaborate with other youth and county leaders, and promote sustainability, environmental literacy, and civic engagement in their school and community.
A $1,000 post-secondary scholarship will be offered to one council member in their senior year who most demonstrates outstanding leadership and program development skills. Students in good standing on the Council can also receive college recommendations. G-YAC Officers can also use their leadership experience on college applications. Officers will be selected at the first meeting.
- Complete and submit an application by June 3, 2019 to Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful using the form below. Incomplete applications will not be considered. (See “How to Apply” section).
- Obtain at least one teacher or community leader recommendation to be included with application.
- Plan to attend a minimum of 14 out of the 18 meetings and events. The opportunity to help at other tabling events will be given for making up missed meetings.
- Maintain enrollment in a Gwinnett County, Private High, or Home School for 2019-2020.
- Have an interest in environmental leadership and issues facing our community and world.
- Have access to a computer with internet connection.
- Provide a current e-mail account that will be checked regularly for meeting announcements and updates.
- Provide own transportation to meetings and events. Most meetings are centrally located in Lawrenceville, at Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful’s office.
What to expect after application is submitted:
- Students will be notified via e-mail by June 30, 2019.
- Students will be expected to engage and participate fully in meetings and community-based events as planned by Council.
How to apply:
- Download the G-YAC Application Packet (click here)
- Sign the Statement of Commitment
- Obtain a Letter of Recommendation
- Submit your application online below, including the above documents.