No matter to what name he answers – father, pops, daddy or dear old dad – it just so happens that Sunday, June 19th has been designated a special day set aside just for him. To help you celebrate that big guy in your life, Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful has compiled a list of eco-friendly alternatives so you can stay “green” while making him feel GREAT!
- Plan a Patriarch Picnic at the Park: With an award-winning, nationally recognized parks system at our disposal, it’s easy to plan a family outing in the Great Outdoors. If you don’t already have a favorite go-to Gwinnett park, check out the county’s extensive list of facilities in order to plot the best course. Before filling your picnic basket with all of his favorite foods, be sure to read “5 Easy Tips to Hosting a Planet-Friendly Picnic.”
- Launch a Family Legacy: While your very existence ensures that the family name lives on, there’s another special way to make your last name a part of local legend. By taking part in GCB’s Adopt-A-Road program, your family could be responsible for picking up litter on a stretch of road near your neighborhood. In exchange, two signs bearing your family’s name will be placed along the roadway to let others know that you care about keeping Gwinnett clean and beautiful.
- Give the Gift of an Experience He’ll Never Forget: There are a number of great destinations close to home to which you can give your dad the gift of an experience he’ll remember time and again – one of our favorite forms of recycling. Spend a day together as a family at Southeastern Railway Museum, Gwinnett Environmental & Heritage Center, Coolray Field, Lanier Islands or Stone Mountain Park. The close proximity is easy on the gas tank, while scoring high on the memory meter.
- Show Support for a Cause Near and Dear to his Heart: Sometimes, it’s not always easy to find the perfect gift for the guy who has everything. There are plenty of organizations all over the world – and right here in our backyard – that could use our help. By making a donation in his name to a cause that holds meaning to him, you’re sure to give him the greatest gift of all… the peace of knowing that he’s raised a thoughtful and caring child. Guidestar.org provides a comprehensive list of charities and non-profit organizations that focus on the environment, animals, human services and so much more.
- Get in Touch with your Inner Child for Inspiration: Some of his most cherished gifts are likely the ones you made for him as a young child. Upcycling is a wonderful way to reuse common objects and create a homemade gift that will hold special meaning for him. To help you get started, we’re recycling a link to a great article on Suburble.com that includes “30 Handmade Gift Ideas for Men.” You’ll also find loads of upcycle inspiration on Pinterest.
From all of us here at Gwinnett Clean & Beautiful, we wish you and your dad a very Happy Father’s Day!!